Selangor Information Technology and E-commerce Council (SITEC)
Established under the secretariat of Invest Selangor by the Selangor State Government, the Selangor Information Technology and E-Commerce Council (SITEC) is chaired by Chairman of the Standing Committees of Investment, Industry & Trade, Small and Medium Industries (SME) and Transport; Selangor State Government EXCO. SITEC aims to develop Selangor as the regional trading hub for e-Commerce and to uplift the startup ecosystem within the state.
As such, it has undertaken a variety of initiatives, from the four core thrusts incorporating education and active participation, in order to boost and support the nascent e-Commerce and startup scenes in Selangor.
Under the guidance of the SITEC council members, SITEC has identified four main thrusts to drive economic activity in the two main industries, startups and e-Commerce:
- SITEC Apps 100
- SITEC Online 100
- Selangor Digital Creative Centre (SDCC)
- E-Commerce Education
SITEC has established a set of clear objectives to guide our aspirations in achieving our aims. Through two of our thrusts, Online 100 and Apps 100, we intend to steadily reach out to brick and mortar merchants in Selangor to get them onboard e-commerce as a supplement to their retail efforts. Additionally, we are gradually establishing ourselves as a key Digital Economy player through our strategic partnerships, reaching out to tens of thousands of individuals within the local e-commerce, startup and tech spheres.
As of December 2017, SITEC has:
- On-boarded 300 Selangor brick and mortar merchants to sell online via Online 100
- Produced 300 mobile apps for these Online 100 merchants
- Reached out to over 80,000 people in related areas locally and overseas
- Ran 58 e-commerce and startup educational classes
- Facilitated our Online 100 merchants in generating RM 7,300,000 in Gross Merchandise Value